The Samsung Galaxy Note is one of the larger smartphones, although some people do call it a tablet. Well, maybe it is a small tablet. If you have a Galaxy Note, you will might like to root it in order to install the apps which require super user permission. These apps allow you to do more on your phone than just basic things. Rooting the phone will provide you this access, after that, if you install ClockworkMod Recovery, you will be able to install custom ROMs that are developed especially for this tablet-like smartphone.
In this article, we will guide you on how you can root your Galaxy Note and then how to install CWM. You should first know that rooting your phone will void its warranty, so do it at your own risk. However, there are not any users who are complaining concerning the root, which suggests that phone would work fine after root and you won’t face any situations in which you need to use the warranty.
To begin the process of Rooting your Galaxy Note, you will need to grab some files first, and then you can head over to the second half of this tutorial, where you will learn to use the grabbed files. Here are the files that you will need.
As always, proceed at your own risk. Android Lookout will not be held responsible if you void or damage your phone in any way by following these instructions.
There is a only one file you need to download among the above Kernel files. Read further to know which will work for you.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Note and Install CWM Recovery
- To begin, you need to find the Kernel version of your phone, it can be done by going to Menu>>Settings>>About phone>>Kernel Version. There will be a string like 184.108.40.206-N7000XXKJ4-CL641703. The string which is highlighted (KJ4) is your Kernel version. It varies device to device, so check yours and then download the corresponding file. Note that you do NOT need to download all the Kernel files, you just need the file for your version.
- When your download completes, just extract the files from it to any folder on your PC. I like to extract to the desktop because it is easier that way.
- Get your hand on your phone and then enable USB debugging, Go to Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging to do so.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable and then choose Mass Storage mode. Choose “Turn on USB storage” option.
- Navigate to the folder where you have extracted the files from the ZIP archive and then choose to run the not-rooted-yet.bat file. Double-click on it to run.
- When you open the batch file, you will see some instructions on your screen, follow them carefully to successfully root your phone.
It was quite easy to root the Galaxy Note and to Install CWM Recovery on it, as the batch file did all the things. Otherwise, you would have to enter commands manually. Now enjoy!
Filed in: Android How To