Samsung Galaxy Note is a great smartphone, some people also call it a tablet, well, that’s not true. It was launched across the world and millions of its units have been shipped to the customers and still counting. AT&T also provided the Galaxy Note to the areas where it has the consumers. The model which was provided by AT&T is SGH-I717. As we are talking about an Android smartphone, you should be thinking about rooting the phone and installing custom ROMs, then you have come to the right place.
In the following tutorial, we will show you how you can root your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 smarthphone. There was no method available to root this model but an XDA forum member has posted a rooted kernel that you can install on your phone to gain root access. To install this kernel on your device, you will need to use an utility called Odin that will help you to easily flash the kernel on your phone. You should know that rooting your Galaxy Note voids its warranty, therefore, do it at your own risk.
First of all, as pre-requisite, you need to have your Samsung Driver installed. These drives will help your PC to recognize your phone and to perform actions on it. Below are all the files that you will need to grab in order to root your Galaxy Note SGH-I717 smartphone, these include Driver links, too.
Above are the three files you should obtain to get on way of rooting your phone. Thereafter, head over to the following tutorial and follow all the steps mentioned.
Steps to Root AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717
- After grabbing up all the files listed above, put them in one folder so you can access them easily in the steps.
- Once you have done that, just get the Galaxy Note smartphone in your hand and then turn it OFF.
- Now, you have to start your phone into the download mode so you can flash the kernel, to do so, just press and hold Volume DOWN and Power key simultaneously. It will start up your phone into the download mode.
- On your computer, open the Odin tool you got from pre-requisites.
- When Odin is open on your PC, just connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable and Odin will recognize it if the drivers are installed properly.
- When it is confirmed that phone is connected, just click on PDA option in the Odin tool and then browse to the pda.tar file, which you have downloaded earlier, select it.
- In the Odin, select Auto Reboot and F. Reset time boxes, leave the rest of the options unselected.
- The configuration is finished now, press the Start button to begin the process of flashing kernel. It will take some time to do that, so wait for a while.
- Once it is done, your phone will reboot and when it starts up, you will be running a custom rooted kernel. To get the root access, download the Super User app from Market and install it on your phone.
That’s it. It was simple to root your AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717 smartphone using the kernel file. If you have any questions in your mind, then drop them in the comments.
Filed in: Android How To