The Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 has been a top choice for first time Android users as it is in the low price range among android smartphone. It runs on the Gingerbread version of Android that allows you to do lots of tasks on this little smartphone. By launching this smartphone, Samsung has really taken care of the low-range mobile users who cannot afford high-level smartphones but still certainly want some cool apps and games. The Android Market contains thousands of apps and most of them do work on this phone.
The Galaxy Y S5360 originally came with Android 2.3.5 and an update has come out dubbed Android 2.3.6. It will upgrade your phone to the new version of the firmware, and so the phone will have performance and stability improvements. It is a DDLA build of Gingerbread and the following tutorial will guide you how you can install Android 2.3.6 on your Galaxy Y S5360 smartphone. This is an official update and not a custom ROM, so you can have peace of mind while updating to this firmware version.
Before proceeding to the installation guide, you need to first download the pre-requisite files. These are required and you must obtain them first. Here are the files that you will need along with their download links.
Obtain the files listed above as you will be using them in the following tutorial. Although this is an official update, we will not be held responsible if your device gets damaged during the process.
Steps to Install Android 2.3.6 DDLA1 on Samsung Galaxy Y S5360
- As we do in all the updating processes, enable USB debugging on your phone. Just navigate to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and there you need to check the USB debugging option.
- Open up the DDLA1 Update Package archive and then extract files from it to any folder on your PC. I’d prefer to put them on the Desktop for easy access. Any utility like WinRAR, WinZIP will do the extracting for you.
- Get your phone into the Download Mode. For that, just turn OFF your phone and then press and hold Volume Down+Home+Power key together. Your phone will start up in the download mode.
- Start the Odin tool on your PC, you got it in the pre-requisites.
- Use the USB cable to connect your phone to the PC, when you have done so, the ID:COM box in Odin will change to yellow. Then go ahead.
- You will find some options in Odin, just select these files in the appropriate options.
PIT – totoro_0623.pit
Boot Loader – DefaultCalDataWithBoot_S5360DDLA1_REVO5.tar.md5
PDA – PDA_S5360DDLA1_REVO5.tar.md5
Phone – MODEM_S5360DDLA1_REVO5.tar.md5
CSC – GT-S5360-MULTI-CSC-ODDLA1.tar.md5
- In the Odin Interface, make sure that only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are checked.
- Click on the Start button to commence the updating process. It will issue some commands to the phone and at the end, the phone will reboot.
- When it’s rebooted, just turn it OFF and then enter into the recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume UP+Home+Power key together.
- In the Recovery menu of your phone, just choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Wipe cache partition.
- Choose the Reboot system now from the main menu of recovery and you are done.
If everything has gone well, you will boot up into the newest Android 2.3.6 on your Galaxy Y S5360. If you had rooted your phone, you will need to re-root your phone as the previous root has been broken. Follow this guide to root Galaxy Y S5360.
Filed in: Android How To