If you have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and you are on Verizon, life has been a little bit harder for you in rooting your phone. Recently, Verizon updated to Jelly Bean OTA which has changed the process for rooting your phone. However, we now have instructions for how to root your Galaxy S3, in the process installing custom recovery and unlocking the bootloader.
This works on the official OTA Jelly Bean update (Version 4.1.1). Keep in mind, we are not responsible for anything bad that happens when you try to root your phone. Make sure everything is BACKED UP before you do anything.
1. Make sure you have downloaded and installed Odin
2. Update your phone to the latest Samsung USB drivers
3. Download the VRALEC Bootchain
4. Download the VRBLK3 Bootchain
5. Download ClockwordMod Touch Recovery
6. Download the appropriate file to root and unlock bootloader
Ok, so assuming you have gathered all of the prerequisite files and software, proceed on using the following steps.
1. Place the SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip on your phone’s SD card.
2. You need to boot the phone into download mode. To do this, power down. Then turn it on holding Volume Down + Home + Power. When you see the warning screen, hit volume up and then connect your phone to your computer.
3. Open up Odin. Make sure Odin sees your phone. Check PDA and click on PDA. Select the VRALEC Bootchain. Open that, and then click “Start” in Odin to run it.
4. When your phone boots back up after flashing the VRALEC Bootchain, power down. Boot into download mode again (Volume Down + Home + Power).
5. Close out of Odin, and then open Odin again. For this step, you need to uncheck “Auto Reboot.” Check PDA and click on PDA to select your ClockworkMod Touch Recovery file. After Odin loads your CWM file, click “Start” to let Odin flash the recovery mod.
6. After the recovery mod is flashed, disconnect the USB cable and then take the battery out and put it back in.
7. This time boot into recovery mode (Volume Up + Home + Power). Then use ClockworkMod Touch Recovery to navigate to the SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip you placed on your SD card earlier.
8. To do this, you’ll click “Install,” then “Choose Zip from SD card,” go to your download folder (or wherever you placed your file earlier). Select the SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip.
9. Select Yes – Install SuperSU_Bootloader_FIXED.zip
10. After it has flashed, you are unlocked, rooted and you have the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery installed. Now you need to reboot the phone, so **go back** a screen in the CWM menu and reboot the system.
11. Importantly- when you exit CWM recovery to reboot, it will ask you if you want to “Disable recovery flash.” It is very important that you select Yes – Disable Recovery Flash.
12. After it’s rebooted, we will pull the battery again. Put it back in. Boot back into download mode (Volume Down + Home + Power) then click Volume Up. Plug it back into your computer. Open up Odin again.
13. Now open PDA and select the VRBLK3 Bootchain. After it’s loaded in Odin, and then click “Start.”
After the VRBLK3 Bootchain flashes, you are ready to go with a rooted, unlocked and have custom recovery installed. You can proceed with installing ROMs or whatever else you want to do with your phone!
Filed in: Android How To