Today we have a rooting method for the Droid Razr M, Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD. This rooting method is very straightforward and takes only a few minutes. The method is courtesy of Dan Rosenberg’s noble efforts (vulnfactory.org and@djrbliss).
This method is very simple and straightforward. First, we need to get a few files and set things up before we proceed with the rooting process.
As always, we are not responsible for any good or bad things that may happen to you in the process of rooting your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
To start, make sure you have installed your USB Droid Drivers on your computer so your computer can recognize the phone. If you need these USB drivers, go here.
Second, download the rooting files here: http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip
1. In your phone, go into settings and developer options, and check USB debugging.
2. Plug your phone into your computer.
3. Open up the Motofail2go windows.zip archive you just downloaded, and double click the run.bat
4. You get a warning message of sorts. It asks you to make sure you have already enabled USB debugging (we did that in step one) and that your phone is connected to your PC via USB (we did that in step two).
5. Press any key to continue.
6. We have to trigger a bugreport to continue (this method takes advantage of an exploit in the software). We just press Volume Up + Power to trigger that bugreport.
7. If you successfully triggered the bugreport, your phone will vibrate.
8. It will continue on rooting your phone. Expect to wait a few minutes.
9. After it’s done, congratulations- you are rooted! You can feel free to check that you are rooted by downloading Root Checker.
A hat tip to Dan Rosenberg for his fine work!
Filed in: Android How To