Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi is one of the tablet from the Galaxy Tablet series by Samsung. It comprises the Honeycomb version of the Android OS and has been equipped with a 1GHz processor. With 1GB of RAM, it can run apps and games smoother that have been developed for the Honeycomb. As you all know, the latest version of the Android, as of now, is the Ice Cream Sandwich and having the same on this tablet will let you explore more features and enhance your current experience. On the other side, Samsung says that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 would get the ICS update at the end of the January, 2012. We don’t know how much true this news is.
If you are eager to install the Ice Cream Sandwich on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi model, then you should not wait and do it now. By installing ICS, you will get access to apps which are exclusively developed for this version of Android. It will also improve the performance of your tablet thus providing you a great experience of using a tablet.
The CyanogenMod developers have developed a custom ROM based on the ICS for the Galaxy Tab and the same we will use to install. The guide below explains all the steps involved in installing this ROM as well as the pre-requisites. Keep in mind that installing a custom ROM will void your Galaxy Tab warranty and there are also chances of getting your device bricked, that happens very rarely, however.
Disclaimer: Android Lookout will not be held responsible if any damage happens to your device after this installation process.
At first, you need to get the files mentioned below. Download links are provided so you don’t need to find them anywhere and then you can go further.
- CyanogenMod 9 (Download)
Well, that was just one file and I presume that you now have completely downloaded it. If not, then do so and go further. Here are the steps you should follow in order to install ICS on Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi Model.
Install ICS on Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi
- Download the file from the link given above and save it anywhere on your computer. I would prefer to put it on the Desktop for easy access.
- Now, hook up the USB cable to your PC and to your tablet to make the file transfer possible. Now, move or copy the CyanogenMod 9 file to the /sdcard/ path of your tablet. Remember to put it in the root folder.
- It will take a few seconds to complete the transfer, when it happens, just unplug the tablet from your PC and then turn it off.
- If you know how to reboot the tablet into recovery mode, then do it now. Otherwise, press and hold the Volume Down key and then presss the Power button. It will let you enter into recovery mode. Make sure that you boot up into the ClockworkMod Recovery, not the stock recovery. Read How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery
- To be in the safe side, backup the data of your phone using the Backup and Restore option given in the recovery menu. After doing so, move to the next step.
- Here, we need to wipe some of the data. Choose Wipe data/factory reset followed by Wipe cache partition. Head over to Advanced Menu and select Wipe Dalvik cache.
- Come to the main menu by pressing the desired key and then choose Install ZIP from sdcard followed by Choose ZIP from sdcard. Find the CyanogenMod 9 file which you copied earlier to the tablet and select it. If any prompt appears, just give Yes so further action can be allowed.
- It will take some time to flash this ROM and when it has been completed, you can go back to main menu of recovery and then choose Reboot system now. So, the tablet can be booted up in the ICS version of Android.
Well, that was a short guide explaining how easily you could install ICS on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi and I am very much sure that you would have done it successfully by following the above guide. If you feel you are having a problem with the steps described above, comment it and we will try as much as possible to solve it. Enjoy !
Filed in: Android How To