You have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and you are looking to make the most of it by installing one of the best custom ROMs? Then look no further than CyanogenMod 10. It looks awesome, it is really fast, and it offers a lot of great functionality. We will go through a short guide on how to install CyanogenMod on your phone.
Standard Disclaimer: We are not responsible for anything bad that happens when you make changes to your Android device.
First, we need to make sure you have rooted your phone. If you have not already rooted your Galaxy S3, check out the rooting guides for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 and the guides for Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3. Following these guides will also set you up with Clockworkmod Recovery, which we will use to flash this ROM.
Second, you want to go ahead and make a backup of your files in case something goes wrong. You might want to run a backup to your PC, just in case.
Then, you need to download the appropriate version of CyanogenMod 10 based on your phone. Make sure you get the appropriate file depending on your carrier. When you download the file, put it on your phone’s SD card. You can download it from your PC and transfer it to the SD card via USB cable, or you can even download the files straight from your phone- just save to the SD card.
Now it’s time to get CyanogenMod installed!
1. Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing UP + HOME + POWER simultaneously. Hold those buttons until it boots into Clockworkmod Recovery
2. This is a very good time to make a backup using CWM Recovery if you haven’t already.
3. Go to ‘Advanced’ and select ‘Wipe Dalvik Cache’ and then choose ‘Yes Wipe Dalvik Cache’
4. Go back, and go to ‘Wipe Cache Partition’ and wipe your Cache
5. Now select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ (this is why you backed up your data). This will wipe everything on your phone.
6. It will take a minute to wipe everything.
7. Go to ‘Install ZIP from sdcard’ and select ‘Choose zip from internal sdcard’ and you should see your file starting with CM10.
8. Choose that CM10 file. Select Yes Install CM10…… and let it run for a few minutes. You’ll see the phone reboot and boot up with the custom Cyanogenmod 10 boot animation.
Congratulations! You’re running Cyanogenmod10- enjoy!
Filed in: Android How To